General Currie P.A.C.
Who and What is the PAC (Parent Advisory Council)?
All Parents/Guardians with children at General Currie Elementary School are members of Currie PAC (Parent Advisory Council). The PAC’s primary goal is to foster communication and cooperation among Parents/Guardians, Teachers and Administration to effectively communicate between home and school; encouraging parents to become valuable contributors to educational decisions and to build a strong school community. Parent/Guardian involvement in the PAC is strongly encouraged.
Not only do we discuss matters that affect our school, but we also host Fun Events, Fundraisers and other Activities throughout the year! Money raised through Fundraising Activities are used to directly benefit the students of our school. Every dollar we raise through our Fundraising and other Activities goes directly back to the school.
- We are a forum between the school and parents on matters of general concern to the General Currie community
- We contribute greatly to school activities throughout the year
- We promote the development of positive school-community relations
- Facilitate parent involvement with the school
- Act as a communication link with the school board
Once a month, on the third Wednesday, the PAC Executives, PAC Members, and the School Administration, usually the Principal and Vice-Principal, meet in the school library from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. At these meetings the School Administration informs parents of what is happening-past events as well as upcoming events. Other topics of discussion may include new Fundraising Initiatives, how to spend the monies raised by PAC, Events PAC has planned for the year, sometimes Teachers will come to a meeting with a request from PAC to support an idea for their classroom(s) and any other concerns that have been raised by Parents/Guardians. You may choose to observe or actively participate – either is acceptable, it’s up to you! If you can’t make the meeting, but would like to be involved, please email us at email@example.com to let us know.
Parents will elect a new Executive Council to run the P.A.C. once a year during the AGM in May.
2017/2018 School Year PAC (Parent Advisory Council):
- President/Chair- Katrina Bitkova
- Vice-President/Co-Chair- Eddie Sun
- Secretary- Bobby Jo Bell
- Treasurer- (TWO YEAR POSITION) Denise Sabet
- Co-Treasurer- (TWO YEAR POSITION) Carolyne Buhr
- Volunteer Coordinator- Katrina Crowson
- Munch a Lunch - Xiaohua Zhao
- RDPA - All Executives to Pick a Date and Attend This Year 2017-2018
Description of PAC Positions:
- Chair- speak on behalf of the Council
- consult with Council members
- preside at membership and executive meetings
- ensure that an agenda is prepared and distributed
- appoint committees where authorized by the membership or executive
- ensure that the Council is represented in school and district activities
- ensure that Council activities are aimed at achieving the purposes set out in the constitution
- be a signing officer
- submit an annual report
- support the president
- assume the duties of the president in the president’s absence or upon request
- assist the president in the performance of his or her duties accept extra duties as required
- ensure that members are notified of meetings
- record, distribute and file minutes of all meetings
- keep an accurate copy of the constitution and bylaws, and make copies available to members upon request
- prepare and maintain other documentation as requested by the membership or executive
- issue and receive correspondence on behalf of the Council
- ensure safekeeping of all records of the Council
- submit all minutes, documents, correspondence and records into the PAC binder
Treasurer: (Two Year Position)
- be a signing officer
- ensure all funds of the Council are properly accounted for
- disburse funds as authorized by the membership or executive
- ensure that proper financial records and books of account are maintained and kept in the PAC binder located in the principal’s office
- report on all raised funds, disbursements and account balances at general and executive meetings
- make financial records and books of account available to members upon request
- have the financial records and books of account ready for inspection or audit annually
- with the assistance of the executive, draft an annual budget
- ensure that another signing officer has access to the financial records and books of account in the treasurer’s absence
- submit an annual financial statement at the annual general meeting
Co-Treasurer: (Two Year Position)
- support the treasurer
- assume the duties of the treasurer in the treasurer’s absence or upon request
- assist the treasurer in the performance of his or her duties
- accept extra duties as required
- to find and place parent volunteers into the engagements/activities being put together by the PAC
- to follow through with all engagements/activities and make sure there’s enough volunteer support on the day of such engagement/activity
- to maintain the Munch-A-Lunch program and place the food orders accordingly
- to coordinate Hot lunch orders with the volunteers for the appointed day
- to place food orders for any engagement/activity that the PAC might be hosting
- attend all meetings of the RDPA and represent, speak, and vote on behalf of the Council
- maintain current registration of the Council
- report regularly to the membership and executive on all matters relating to the RDPA
- seek and give input to the RDPA on behalf of the PAC
- receive, circulate, and post RDPA newsletters, brochures, and announcements
- receive and act on all other communications from the RDPA
- liaise with other parents and RDPA representatives
Parents are a vital part of the educational process. Schools which have elevated levels of student success also show elevated levels of parental involvement. There are several ways you can assist the school. Listed below are some of the ways parents/guardians can become involved with their school/community.
- Service in the library such as; reading to children, helping to reshelf books and Book Fair.
- Classroom Help
- Helping with School & PAC Fund-Raising Events
- Breakfast Club every Tuesday Morning
- Fruits/Vegetables twice a month
- Hot Lunches twice a month
- Early Morning Warnings
- Helping with Unique Events (Sports Day, Family Planned Events)
- Traffic Safety Coordinator
- Acting as a translator
- Involvement with PAC
Please check out our Volunteer Signup Page for ways to get involved.
If you’ve got great ideas, we welcome you to join us at our next PAC meeting; we can be reached through the school office or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always looking for contacts within our community who can help us with our fundraising events. If you know of someone who has the connections within the community (business owners, corporations…) that could potentially make donations to the school, please have them contact us.
Parent involvement in our wonderful school has an enormous impact on our children’s learning experience. We look forward to working with you to help make our school even better.
Together we can make a difference!